Sant Miquel mountain
On the top of Sant Miquel Mountain, the remains of a building named after the mountain can be seen. The oldest ruins date back to Medieval times and the site comprises a possible watchtower, section of wall and fortified chapel with polygonal apse. There is no written reference to the tower. The chapel, however, was dedicated to Saint Michael and was erected in gothic style in the mid 15th century. In 1848, during the Second Carlist War, the remains of the chapel were used to build two optical telegraph towers for providing a quick and secure communications network.
The site location is strategic, offering complete surveillance of the Sant Daniel and Celrà valleys, which open onto the plains of Girona and the Empordà respectively.
On Sant Miquel Mountain, there is a picnic spot where walkers can relax before making the return trip back.