The Baix Ter plain
The “Gola del Ter Route” offers an easy tour of places of environmental interest on the coast of the Baix Ter. Almost all of the route is within the boundaries of the Montgrí, Medes Islands and Baix Ter Natural Park. This itinerary will allow you to discover the geology, flora and fauna of places like the Vell Ter (the former course of the river Ter), the tamarisk Closes (pastures), la Pletera with its small inhabitants (Spanish toothcarp), areas of dunes, ponds and the Gola del Ter at the end of the route.
Duration1 hour 45 minutes
ThemeFlora and faunaGeologiaLandscaping
ActivityBy footBy bike
The Baix Ter plain
The “Gola del Ter Route” starts just outside the tourism office in l’Estartit and follows the promenade towards the south. After passing the Parc de la Pineda, it follows a sandy trail running parallel to the coast until you reach the built-up area of els Griells, where you turn off to discover the Ter Vell. Here you can observe the fauna of the lagoons of the Ter Vell from the viewpoint provided for this purpose.
After enjoying the tranquillity of this place and the views from the viewpoint, carry on walking between the Closes, meadows enclosed by trees, with tamarisks on both sides of the route towards la Pletera. In la Pletera, a salt marsh separated from the sea by a strip of coastal dunes, you can find out about the life of the Spanish toothcarp, a small fish which lives in the fresh water lagoons and is at risk of extinction.
Now, follow the route towards the south running parallel to the beach of l’Estartit on a broad sandy trail bounded by tamarisks on the right-hand side until you come to the pond of the Bassa de Fra Ramon, where you can discover the distinctive features of the flora and fauna that live there.
Leaving the Bassa del Fra Ramon, you now walk through an area of dunes fixed by shrubby vegetation, where the dominant plant is twisted thymelaea, until you reach the Mota del Riu Ter, where you turn left and, almost without realising, come to the Gola del Ter. In this marvellous spot you can see some examples of riverside trees and you can enjoy the tranquillity and the scenery, with views of the Medes Islands, the beach of Pals and the Begur Mountains.
- The route alternates between sandy tracks, short paved sections and narrow paths.
- Make sure you do not leave the marked paths. Remember you are in sensitive areas of the Natural Park.
- Bring plenty of water, especially in summer.
- Respect people’s private property and the surroundings in general. You are in a Natural Park.
- Avoid the middle of the day in high summer, and in any case, take precautions to protect yourself from the sun.
- The route can be uncomfortable on days with strong wind.
- The whole route is flat and follows comfortable trails and paths.
- Protection from the sun or wind if necessary.