Castle of Benedormiens, Castell d'Aro’s town origin during the Middle Ages, is documented for the first time in 1041, when the religious authorities, nobles and knights of the territory, deliver to the Monastery of Sant Feliu de Guíxols the castle’s guarding, with the obligation of protecting it from the attacks of the Muslims in the Vall d'Aro. In 1462, during the Remences War, the castle is set on fire. Between the 17th and 18th centuries there were renovation works.
Now, Benedormiens Castle houses art exhibitions and demonstrations of the traditional culture of the municipality within the five rooms that bear the names of the historical figures related to its history. We are, therefore, faced with a medieval architectural ensemble that is of great historical interest.
Amongst the artists that have gone through the castle, we can find Modest Cuixart, Pitxot, Pere Gastó, Lorenzo Quinn, Vicente Romero, Antonio Reverte Oliva or Lars Physant, among others.
The Town Hall has also an interesting art collection that will soon be shown in permanent exhibition to the citizens of the twon and to all those people who visit us.