Bunkers of l’Escala
Franco’s government, in the context of the Second World War (1939–1945), built the battery called L-6, which comprised the set of batteries to the north and south of the bay of Roses, to defend against a hypothetical attack by the Allies.
The battery is divided into two sections, each of which comprises two bunkers located symmetrically on the east and west and facing north and north-east.
The bunkers were armed with four steel naval guns, which with small modifications were converted into a coastal defence artillery. The idea was to defend against any landing on the coast of the Empordà and fire on any launches and amphibious vehicles.
In the political and strategic context, this was a very late structure with a short life. It was conceived at a time in which international pressure was threatening the Francoist regime, but in the 1950s, at the height of the Cold War, it was completely obsolete.