The S’Agaró’s Church
The S’Agaró’s Church was built in 1941. Its author, Francesc Folguera, based his ideas on those from Rafael Masó, when constructing it. Consecrated a year later and dedicated to the Virgin of Hope (Mare de Déu de l’Esperança). The neo-baroque building incorporates original gothic elements from Girona’s convent of Sant Francesc, located on Carrer Nou and disappeared after its confiscation; as the cloister arcades and some doors. There were also two gothic tombs in the castle of Foixà. On its white facade stands the stone portal that connects with the niche and the rose window. The whole set is decorated with volutes and other ornamental elements typical of a Baroque style. The charm of the church comes from the contrast of the Mediterranean whiteness of its walls with the redness of its roof, and, by the difference in volume that its walls have.
This church is currently where S'Agaró’s International Music Festival is held, which is still attended today by the best classical musicians from all over the world to perform their recitals from June to October.
The murals that can be seen in the church are the work of Joan Colom.