Roses Lighthouse

Route POI
Index card


Inaugurated on 1st September, 1864, the construction of the Lighthouse of Roses was part of a general lighting plan for the coasts and ports that was carried out during the reign of Isabel II.

Its was initially an oil light, later it worked on paraffin and, from 1883, oil was used as the fuel. In 1921 the electrification was carried out. During the 1990s, the progressive process of automation of maritime signalling meant this building was no longer lived in.

The building, which was also designed to house the lighthouse keeper and his family, preserves the original basic structure and a garden space built largely on a coastal artillery battery from the modern era that formed part of the defensive framework of the Trinitat Castle.