Walking between the mountains and the sea
Circular itinerary in one of the main natural spots of the Catalan coastal line, the distance is short, and with little effort we will have an excellent view of nature, crossing forests of cork oaks and pine trees, and walking over a geology that has shaped the landscape with a strong character.
In “Es Codolar”, the beach that gives its name to the route, we will arrive at the end of the route.
We recommend the Local Natura App to do this route. Download it for free here:Apple store Google Play
ThemeFlora and faunaEnvironmentArchitecture and environment
Walking between the mountains and the sea
This is a short distance, circular itinerary, with a low difficulty level, it offers great landscapes and environmental value, as well as helping us understand the history of Tossa.
The route is marked with green stripes as a local route with little difficulty, there are times when it shares its paths with the GR 92, which will continue until we leave it again following our green marked itinerary.
We will walk through the maritime sector of the Cadiretes massif on paths that follow torrents, connect villages and offer exceptional views.
We will step on and continue along the old road from Lloret to Tossa de Mar, following the GR 92 path.
Just after arriving at the GR 92 or the old road of Lloret, we will see the “Xalet Vermell”, built at the end of the 18th century - early 19th, as a vineyard hut for cork explotation workers, an activity that changed the economic history of Tossa.
We will continue maintaining the elevation level for a while and soon we will reach the most maritime slopes until reaching “Punta des Cards” and two more viewpoints, ideal spots to enjoy one of the most spectacular and authentic landscapes of the Costa Brava.
From “Xalet des Cards”, or the “des Cards” viewpoint, to the beach of “Es Codolar” we will continue along the coast line over the cliffs.
Finally, we will reach the gates of the old town of Tossa, which is inside the fortification walls.
- The route ends in the neighborhood of sa Roqueta, you have to walk across the village about 700 meters to the tourist office.
- The entire route is done on a track without too much complications. We will do a part following the same route of the GR92.
- We will find unevenness going up to the Xalet Vermell and finally towards the Vila Vella de Tossa.
- It is recommended to bring water since we will not find fountains, although the route is short.
- The route has no dangers, you just have to be alert to the descent with stairs that are arriving in Vila Vella de Tossa.
- Remember to hydrate and protect yourself from the sun.
- It is recommended to bring sun protection and the head protected in summer (Caps), there are sections with few shadows, but in general it is protected.
- You have to wear comfortable shoes for walking, there are stretches of land and sand with a little slope, but without danger of slipping.
- A camera will allow us to take pictures of Vila Vella, the neighborhood of Sa Roqueta, and/or the landscapes of the coast and the cliffs as well as the interior and the Cadiretes massif.
- The town of Tossa de Mar has many unique buildings, as well as emblematic spaces such as the Roman villa of Els Ametllers, the lighthouse, Vila Vella, the Sa Roqueta district and the Sa Riera park if you can, it is worth the time to take a walk.
- To learn more about the history of Tossa you can visit the Municipal Museum of Tossa de Mar, located in the Vila Vella in a privileged building from the 14th century.
- You can visit the lighthouse where there is the Mediterranean Lighthouse Interpretation Center.
- To know timetables and other information related to visiting Tossa de Mar visit the tourist office, open all year round, you can also visit its website.
- To learn more about cork and its history in relation to human activity, you can visit the Palafrugell Cork Museum, also in the county of Girona.
Save the route
What to see in: Ruta des Codolar
Es una ruta que vale la pena, aunque la primera parte saliendo de la oficina de turismo se nos hizo un poco pesada. Muy buenas vistas. Recomendable.